Assistant/District Program Manager
The Institute of Health Programs and Systems (IHPS) is a South African non-profit company (NPC) born out of the PEPFAR CDC Track 1 transition of the ICAP, Columbia University, Multi-country AIDS Program (MCAP) in South Africa in 2010. IHPS was established with a mission “to strengthen health and development systems through program implementation and partnerships” and, the vision is to ensure “optimal and sustainable health and development outcomes”. IHPS is a current Global Fund (GF) Subrecipient (SR) under the National Department of Health (NDoH), tasked to implement the Tuberculosis (TB) Program in the Johannesburg (JHB) Health District in Gauteng Province (GP) and Kenneth Kaunda District in the North West (NW) Province starting April 2022 ending March 2025. As such, IHPS seeks to recruit for the position outlined below, to be based at JHB Health District.
The Assistant/District Program Manager is responsible for coordinating all the activities of the NDoH Global Fund (GF) TB Project at district level He/she provides leadership, oversight, and technical support to all the GF supported district and sub-districts to ensure that the project achieves its goals.
- Provide programmatic oversight and ensure timely implementation, monitoring, and evaluation (M&E) of all relevant TB Program activities at district level.
- Provide technical, administrative, and fiscal support in the development, implementation, and monitoring of program objectives, activities, and results.
- Ensure that the project timelines are respected and that program targets are achieved.
- Facilitate trainings/seminars, meetings, and special projects at district level.
- Manage district TB project finance and administrative functions, coordinate with head office finance and administration (F&A) team to ensure adequate F&A support by the head office F&A team, for optimal day-to-day implementation and administration of program activities.
- Establish strategic and collaborative partnerships with (NGOs) and government departments in the region, in support of the implementation of program activities
- Represent IHPS through active participation in relevant provincial and districts forums and meetings
- Manage and coordinate the collection, collation, and analysis of TB program data; preparation of scheduled and special reports; and the maintenance of program records and statistical information.
- Lead the annual workplan development, and work closely with Finance and M&E Managers to cost the workplan in line with NDoH guidance.
- Participate in grant and/or proposal development processes and fundraising activities as appropriate,
- Perform specialized activities in direct support of the accomplishment of program objectives, as assigned by the TB Program Manager, Program Director and directed by the NDoH.
- Maintain a current TB program information system as per IHPS knowledge and information management policies and procedures, including up-to-date HR, assets, and program reporting systems.
- Lead internal TB program reviews, monitor, and assess progress against project objectives and targets.
- Work with HR and line managers to ensure timeous and sound recruitment, and induction/ training of program staff based on training needs identified.
- Ensure TB program description and implementation plans are clearly communicated, and staff roles and responsibilities assigned accordingly in line with program objectives
- Work closely with HR and line managers to conduct performance reviews and provide feedback in line with IHPS HR policies and procedures.
- Supervise other technical staff as per established program reporting lines and accountability framework.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by IHPS senior management.
- Bachelor’s degree or Advanced Diploma/equivalent NQF 7 qualification in Management, Business, Public Service Administration or Public Health
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in management level
- At least 5 years’ experience in Public Health preferably in TB and HIV
- Proven experience in working in a high-profile, highly pressurized environment.
- Demonstrated work experience (minimum of 5 years) in donor-funded non-for-profit organizations (NGO).
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of the South African health and social development systems.
- Sound knowledge of TB, DR-TB, TB/HIV and Quality Improvement methods
- Knowledge of the SA Health System (provincial, district, sub-district and facility)
- Knowledge and experience of Department of Health (DOH) data management systems
- Experience in implementing capacity building techniques/strategies.
- Proven technical report writing and presentation skills.
This position description may not list all the duties of the job. If an offer is made, you will be presented with a detailed job description. Applicants will be evaluated based upon their demonstrated ability to perform the tasks listed above, their education and work experience. The employer reserves the right to revise this posting at any time.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should apply by e-mail only to HR@ihps-sa.org. Subject line should be the Position and District you are applying for, and a cover letter and resume or curriculum vitae (CV) should be attached. Submissions which do not follow the above instructions will not be considered.
Due to the extremely high volume of CVs expected, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. NO PHONE CALLS about these positions will be accepted.
Closing Date: 25 July 2023