Geographic Information System (GIS) Officer
The Institute of Health Programs and Systems (IHPS) is a South African non-profit company (NPC) born out of the PEPFAR CDC Track 1 transition of the ICAP, Columbia University, Multi-country AIDS Program (MCAP) in South Africa in 2010. IHPS was established with a mission “to strengthen health and development systems through program implementation and partnerships” and, the vision is to ensure “optimal and sustainable health and development outcomes”. IHPS is a current Global Fund (GF) Subrecipient (SR) under the National Department of Health (NDoH), tasked to implement the Tuberculosis (TB) Program in the Johannesburg (JHB) Health District in Gauteng Province (GP) and Kenneth Kaunda District in the Northwest (NW) Province starting April 2022 ending March 2025. As such, IHPS seeks to recruit for the position outlined below, to be based at Head Office supporting Johannesburg Health District and Dr. Kenneth Kaunda district.
The geographic information systems (GIS) Officer will be responsible for the mapping of all intervention activities in the grant. He/she will be expected to develop systems for generating program data for reporting, generate pre- and post-impact activity data and maps, liaise with surveillance bodies to verify effect grant activities, maintain data collection systems, and provide monitoring and evaluation (M&E) and program managers with solutions to address data collection challenges. Inherently, this position is responsible for the planning, designing, and implementation of information management systems to support the overall program goals and objectives.
Key Performance Areas:
- Organize logistics of software and hardware for data management
- Develop training/orientation materials, operational manual, and tools on the selected applications.
- Identify the users and their training needs and develop a training plan for data management.
- Manage the information dashboard including internal and external dissemination of dashboard result
- Analyse data on a monthly/quarterly basis and prepare comprehensive reports to share with project staff
- Generate geo-maps and provide TB hotspots information to both the Department of Health (DOH) and IHPS.
- Work closely with the District DOH and IHPS program team to monitor progress on implementation and trends
- Provide regular updates to the team and prepare reports to the PR
- Work closely with the NICD and other key partners to interpret data that is collected.
- Conduct any other duties as assigned by IHPS management
- Geographic information systems (GIS) management, information technology (IT) or related diploma or certificate.
- Demonstrated work experience in GIS management is required.
- Advanced qualifications in GIS, information management and technology would be advantageous.
- Experience of working in the donor funded NGO environment is preferred
- Microsoft Office and other relevant GIS applications
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills
- Paying attention to detail
- Ability to work under pressure
- A solid team player with good interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
This position description may not list all the duties of the job. If an offer is made, you will be presented with a detailed job description. Applicants will be evaluated based upon their demonstrated ability to perform the tasks listed above, their education and work experience. The employer reserves the right to revise this posting at any time.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should apply by e-mail only to HR@ihps-sa.org. Subject line should be the Position you are applying for, and a cover letter and resume or curriculum vitae (CV) should be attached. Submissions which do not follow the above instructions will not be considered. Due to the extremely high volume of CVs expected, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. NO PHONE CALLS about these positions will be accepted.
CLOSING DATE: 20 March 2023