In-school AGYW Program Coordinator
The Institute of Health Programs and Systems (IHPS) is a South African non-profit company (NPC) born out of the PEPFAR CDC Track 1 transition of the ICAP, Columbia University, Multi-country AIDS Program (MCAP) in South Africa in 2010. The IHPS mission is “to strengthen health and development systems through program implementation and partnerships” and the vision is “optimal and sustainable health and development outcomes”. Presently, IHPS is a Global Fund Subrecipient (SR) under Beyond Zero (BZ), tasked to implement the “Prevention programs for adolescents and youths, in and out of school” with a specific focus on adolescent girls and young women (AGYW) in the Dihlabeng and Setsoto Subdistricts, Thabo Mofutsanyane District in the Free State Province from April 2019 – March 2022. As such, IHPS seeks to recruit the position outlined below, based in Bethlehem, Free State Province.
Overall Job Function
Under the supervision of the Program Manager, the In-school AGYW Program Coordinator will lead the overall implementation of the in-school AGYW program in will lead and manage the S/he will manage and support the in-school AGYW field-based team to implement the combination package of services across selected (30) quantile 1-3 schools, targeting AGYW aged between the ages 10-18 from Grade 8-11. AGYW in, Dihlabeng and Setsoto Subdistricts, Thabo Mofutsanyane District in in close collaboration with the Centre Manager: Out-of-School AGYW Program and the In-School Program Coordinator will lead and manage the AGYW program In and Out in Dihlabeng and Setsoto Subdistricts, Thabo Mofutsanyane District as well as coordinate the delivery of biomedical interventions (HIV, TB, STI, SRH) for AGYW aged between 15 – 24 years.
• Lead the overall planning, implementation, coordination, monitoring and reporting of the In-school AGYW program in the Subdistrict to achieve results against set objectives;
• Oversee overall mapping of schools and supportive services;
• Establish and manage relationships with key stakeholders i.e. government departments, schools, community leadership and all other relevant stakeholders;
• Advocate for the implementation of the in-school AGYW program activities with the various school management teams (i.e. SMTs, DMTs, SGBs) as well as district and local leaderships forums;
• Ensure the in-school AGYW program supports and is aligned with the new DBE HIV/TB/STI Policy, Integrated School Health Policy (ISHP) and other relevant government policies and legislations;
• Work with the AGYW program strategic information (SI) team to ensure all program related data is collected, validated, reported and utilised accurately and timeously to inform and guide evidence based program planning and implementation;
• Work with the AGYW program SI team to ensure that the in-school AGYW program staff have the necessary capacity to use biometric data management system as applicable;
• Assess and identify capacity needs of in-school AGYW program staff and provide capacity building, mentoring, coaching and supportive supervision as appropriate;
• Actively participate in on-site data verification and routine data quality assessment (DQA) activities;
• Represent the IHPS AGYW program in all relevant platforms as and when required;
• Perform any other duties as assigned by the Program Manager and the IHPS senior management team.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English. Command of local languages would be an added advantage;
• Experience in program management i.e. development, work planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting (MER); financial management and understanding and tracking of budgets;
• Experience in managing and building capacity (i.e. training, mentoring, coaching and supportive supervision) of field-based teams, including facilitation skills;
• Ability to take initiatives, work under pressure and multitask with minimum supervision;
• A team player with good interpersonal skills;
• Sound problem solving and decision-making skills; effective time management and coordination skills;
• Competent in Microsoft Office suite and project management tools
• Valid driver’s license and ability to drive;
Qualifications and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences, preferably Social Work;
• At least 5-10 years’ experience in HIV and AIDS programming, with a specific focus on AGYW or adolescent and youth friendly services (AYFS);
• Demonstrated experience in AGYW program planning and implementation. Experience of working in Global Fund, PEPFAR or other AGYW projects would be an added advantage;
• In-depth understanding of government social development, health and basic educations systems; Dihlabeng and Setsoto Subdistricts, Thabo Mofutsanyane District -specific experience would be advantageous.
• Regular travel to the in-school AGYW program implementation sites.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should apply by e-mail only to HR@ihps-sa.org. Subject line should be In-School AGYW Program Coordinator Bethlehem, and a cover letter and resume or curriculum vitae (CV) should be attached. Submissions which do not follow the above instructions will not be considered. Due to the extremely high volume of CVs expected, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. NO PHONE CALLS about these positions will be accepted.
Closing date: 26 September 2021