The Institute of Health Programs and Systems (IHPS) is a South African non-profit company (NPC) born out of the PEPFAR CDC Track 1 transition of the ICAP, Columbia University, Multi-country AIDS Program (MCAP) in South Africa in 2010. IHPS was established with a mission “to strengthen health and development systems through program implementation and partnerships” and, the vision is to ensure “optimal and sustainable health and development outcomes”. IHPS is a current Global Fund (GF) Subrecipient (SR) under the National Department of Health (NDoH), tasked to implement the Tuberculosis (TB) Program in the Johannesburg (JHB) Health District in Gauteng Province (GP) and Kenneth Kaunda District in the Northwest (NW) Province starting April 2022 ending March 2025. As such, IHPS seeks to recruit for the position outlined below, to be based at Head Office.
This position is primarily responsible for providing finance support to the GF-TB program by managing the budget and cashflow and facilitating transactions in accordance with the conditions of the grant, and in line with PFMA. The incumbent will also be responsible for financial reporting of the grant, including accounting, auditing, and compliance.
- Track available funds according to the approved budget lines, cost grouping, cost input and by interventions
- Liaise with Program Managers regarding items that are budgeted for the month and for the quarter Assist in maintaining and updating of the current procurement plan.
- Participate in procurement processes, including Bid Evaluation Committees (BEC)
- Monitor program spending against budget and maintain favorable cash flow.
- Ensure all purchase requests are allocated to the applicable and approved budget.
- Work closely with program and finance manager to develop monthly forecasts budgets
- Be the first line in detailed reviewing of all accounting entries captured in the accounting system before the finance manager’s review.
- Ensure/maintain quality/validity of supporting documentation in line with SARS and Funder’s requirements for correctness, accuracy and completeness.
- Review monthly payroll against the approved budget
- Prepare the payroll Journal for review, approval and posting by the Finance Manager.
- Prepare a Budget Variance Report on a monthly and quarterly basis, using the SAGE Reporting tool and tracking of all variances for discussion with program managers.
- Update the SAGE Pastel version and the budget financial reporting tools.
- Participate in review meetings with management and the funder
- Provide monthly sampled transactions for internal and external review
- Identify financial risks associated with the project / program and report such risks to the Finance Manager
- Supervise, guide, and support the Asset Administration function
- Ensure that all company vehicles are licensed, repaired, and serviced on time
- Analyze the fuel consumption and mileage of all vehicles and report any irregular trips to the Finance Manager
- Reconcile all petrol cards to Fleet Bank Statements and EFTs monthly
- Support the Asset Administrators with insurance claims relating to vehicles, Computers, and other assets
- Provide information as requested by auditors (RFI’s)
- Assist in resolving internal and external audit findings
- Identify any deviations from IHPS Policies and/or PFMA and report such deviations to the Finance Manager
- Registration with a recognized professional body
- The incumbent must have a degree in Finance or relevant field.
- Registration with a recognized professional body will be an added advantage
- At least 5 years’ experience in the accounting field
- At least 2-3 years in an NGO grant funded sector
- The incumbent must demonstrate minimal knowledge of procurement in accordance with PFMA
- Excellent time and deadlines management
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to multitask and prioritize
- Excellent analytical thinking ability i.e., able to work with and create financial modelling tools within Microsoft Excel (advanced)
- Excellent problem-solving and reasoning ability
- Knowledge of accounting software, internet and the Microsoft office package
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated planning and organizing skills and adaptability
This position description may not list all the duties of the job. If an offer is made, you will be presented with a detailed job description. Applicants will be evaluated based upon their demonstrated ability to perform the tasks listed above, their education and work experience. The employer reserves the right to revise this posting at any time.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should apply by e-mail only to HR@ihps-sa.org. Subject line should be the Position and District you are applying for, and a cover letter and resume or curriculum vitae (CV) should be attached. Submissions which do not follow the above instructions will not be considered.
Due to the extremely high volume of CVs expected, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. NO PHONE CALLS about these positions will be accepted.
Closing Date: 16 February 2024