The Institute of Health Programs and Systems (IHPS) is a South African non-profit company (NPC) born out of the PEPFAR CDC Track 1 transition of the ICAP, Columbia University, Multi-country AIDS Program (MCAP) in South Africa in 2010. IHPS was established with a mission “to strengthen health and development systems through program implementation and partnerships” and, the vision is to ensure “optimal and sustainable health and development outcomes”. IHPS is a current Global Fund (GF) Subrecipient (SR) under the National Department of Health (NDoH), tasked to implement the Tuberculosis (TB) Program in the Johannesburg (JHB) Health District in Gauteng Province (GP) and Kenneth Kaunda District in the Northwest (NW) Province starting April 2022 ending March 2025. As such, IHPS seeks to recruit for the position outlined below, to be based at Head Office.
The role ensures that the required goods and services are procured in line with policy and funder regulations with the aim of supporting programs activities to achieve program objectives.
- Develop annual procurement plan in conjunction with the finance and program managers to ensure alignment with program activities and budget.
- Effectively manage the end-to-end procurement processes of the organization while adhering to strict procurement processes to ensure a fair and transparent procurement process.
- Purchase goods, materials, or services in line with specified cost, quality, and delivery targets.
- Act as an interface between suppliers and other relevant departments on purchasing processes and new projects and activities.
- Organize and conduct all procurement processes including initiating purchase approval, drafting of tendering and solicitation documents, conducting tendering processes (RFQs, RFPs in line with Public Finance Management Act (PFMA) and funder regulations) so that RFQs, RFPs and tender announcements are circulated in line with PFMA and Funder regulations, enabling the flow of information during the tender by providing and requesting required information to and potential suppliers and tender participants if necessary.
- Adhere to all required procurement budgets and funder purchasing guidelines, organizational policies, and controls on procurement.
- Actively participate in the opening of quotations, bids or proposals, organization of their technical evaluation, including coordination of technical committee meetings and preparation of minutes/protocols thereof, conducting financial evaluations.
- Solicit and negotiate competitive pricing from vendors and make recommendations for issuance of purchase orders.
- Collaborate with department/ program managers and staff to resolve procurement compliance issues.
- Submit procurement cases and recommendations for contract award or purchase orders (POs), drafting contracts or POs in accordance with PFMA model contracts and POs and relevant rules and procedures.
- Review subcontracting implementation activities and contractual arrangements to ensure they meet with donor and organizational regulations.
- Interpret and apply funding regulations to ensure that all policies and procedures and organisation procurement and contracting requirements are subcontracting activities.
- Prepare a complete and quality set of documents for procurement cases that are subject to reviewed and approved by Finance Manager (FM) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
- Investigate, develop, and promote the use of progressive supply chain tools and technologies to accomplish procurement objectives.
- Serve as the primary contact relating to all procurement and contract management activities.
- Drive continuous quality improvement (CQI) in all aspects of the procurement process.
- Identify opportunities for operational and procurement process improvement.
- Provide support to other staff to ensure project-wide understanding of contractual issues.
- Implement procedures for projects to ensure that adequate records and audit trails are maintained.
- Keep abreast of changes in procurement and contractual regulations.
- Perform of other tasks as assigned by FM and CEO.
- Maintain all required procurement registers in line with PFMA
- Review non-contracted purchases to identify opportunities for standardization, contracting and cost reduction.
- Maintain an updated and accurate preferred supplier database.
- Review and assist in the development of technical specifications and terms of reference (ToRs) received from program staff, for their compliance with PFMA and funder regulations.
- Prepare specifications, compare, and evaluate bids received and present recommendations to management.
- Develop and maintain a close working relationship with funder’s procurement officials to ensure that the organization receives proper guidance on procurement and complies with PFMA and other regulations.
- Build and maintain relationships with other external stakeholders as applicable.
- Build and maintain and build relationships with internal stakeholders as appropriate.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Commerce, Finance, Business Administration, and a Procurement related qualification
- Chartered Institute of Procurement and Supply (CIPS) Qualification will be an added advantage.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in Procurement role, and 5 years’ experience will be an added advantage.
- Proven NGO environment knowledge and understanding preferable.
- Practical knowledge and experience with donor contracts and grants regulations.
- Ability to research and evaluate technical proposal and make appropriate recommendation.
- Experience of leading the procurement and acquisition aspects of multiple projects including a demonstrated understanding of applicable funder regulations.
- PFMA procurement knowledge and experience
- Sound knowledge and experience in the management of supplier performance and dispute resolution
- Excellent knowledge of end-to-end supply management processes including competitive bidding, contract management, and supplier performance management
- Ability to manage a high volume of work in a fast-paced environment with multiple priorities and deadlines.
- Understanding of risk management (RM) and incorporating RM processes into SCM processes
- Good Microsoft Skills, particularly, Microsoft Excel, Word, and Power-point
- Sage Evolution, Pastel, Accpac and SAP or similar practical experience
- Valid Code 08 driver`s license, own vehicle preferred
- Good analytical, decision-making, and problem-solving skills
- Very good attention to detail
- Value for money analysis hands-on experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills with ability to work as a team member.
- Work independently with initiative to manage high volume workflow.
- Perform detail-oriented work with a high level of accuracy.
- Interact with diplomacy and tact and follow-up on requests in timely and efficient manner.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple purchases and concurrent bids.
- Proven planning, organizing and adaptability.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Excellent ability to apply initiative, good judgement, and creative thinker.
- A commitment to ethical behaviour and business management
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written including written reports
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality, and age sensitivity
This position description may not list all the duties of the job. If an offer is made, you will be presented with a detailed job description. Applicants will be evaluated based upon their demonstrated ability to perform the tasks listed above, their education and work experience. The employer reserves the right to revise this posting at any time.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should apply by e-mail only to HR@ihps-sa.org. Subject line should be the Position you are applying for, and a cover letter and resume or curriculum vitae (CV) should be attached. Submissions which do not follow the above instructions will not be considered. Due to the extremely high volume of CVs expected, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. NO PHONE CALLS about these positions will be accepted.
Closing Date: 27 February 2023