The Institute of Health Programs and Systems (IHPS) is a South African non-profit company (NPC) born out of the PEPFAR CDC Track 1 transition of the ICAP, Columbia University, Multi-country AIDS Program (MCAP) in South Africa in 2010. The IHPS mission is “to strengthen health and development systems through program implementation and partnerships” and the vision is “optimal and sustainable health and development outcomes”. Presently, IHPS is a Global Fund Subrecipient (SR) under The Aids Foundation of South Africa (AFSA), tasked to implement the “Prevention programs for adolescents and Young People (AYP), in and out of school” with a specific focus on adolescent girls and young women (AGYW) and Adolescent Boys and Young Men (ABYM) in Mbombela Sub District in Mpumalanga Province from April 2022 – March 2025. As such, IHPS seeks to recruit the position outlined below, based in Mbombela Sub District in Mpumalanga Province.
Under the supervision of the Safe Space Coordinator , the Social Worker will be responsible for the provision of psychosocial support interventions to Adolescent and Young People’s Program (AYP) in Mbombela Sub District.
- Provide individual or group counselling to AYP presenting with psychosocial needs and the rescreening;
- Participate in a multi-disciplinary team to ensure that AYP are provided with comprehensive psychosocial support services;
- Provide adherence support services to AYP who are on Antiretroviral Therapy (ART) and on pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP);
- Facilitate disclosure counselling to AYP and their caregivers to minimize defaulting;
- Conduct home visits to AYP with psychosocial needs to determine underlying factors and intervene accordingly;
- Manage COHORT groups of AYP with similar issues and interests for purposes of retention in the Program;
- Facilitate parenting programmes to parents of AYP to promote positive parenting between parents and their children;
- Provide support to Social Auxiliary Workers, Peer Group Trainers (PGT), ABYM Facilitators where necessary;
- Facilitate referrals of layered services where appropriate viz. Health Facilities, Gender Based Violence (GBV) organizations, Home Affairs, Department of Social Development and other stakeholders;
- Compile case reports, process notes and referral reports for interventions provided to AYP;
- Develop weekly plans and compile activity reports and monthly tracking tool;
- Assist the Monitoring and Evaluation team during onsite data verification visits;
- Coordinate and facilitate the distribution of dignity packs to AYP in need;
- Develop monthly and quarterly success stories with support from Supervisor;
- Provide support to the Economic Strengthening Livelihoods Project (ESL) Coordinator in the selection, recruitment, and application process as well as the implementation of the ESL project;
- Represent IHPS in all relevant platforms as and when required;
- Attend to program meetings as required;
- Participate in any research related activities as per need;
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the line manager.
- Problem Solving
- Able to work independently.
- Able to work in a team.
- Good verbal and writing skills.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Good facilitation skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Work.
- At least 3-5 years’ experience in Social Work services .
- Registration with the South African Council for Social Services Profession (SACSSP).
- Experience working with Youth.
- A valid driver’s license and ability to drive.
By expressing the interest in the positions, applicants are consenting in terms of POPI Act for their curriculum vitae (CV) to be shared with the relevant people authorized to act on behalf of IHPS in the recruitment process.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should apply by e-mail only to HR@ihps-sa.org. Subject line should be the position you are applying for, and a cover letter and resume or CV should be attached. Submissions which do not follow the above instructions will not be considered.
Due to the extremely high volume of CVs expected, only those short-listed and selected for interviews will be contacted. NO PHONE CALLS about these positions will be accepted.
It is unlawful to employ a person who does not have permission to live and work in South Africa Unless the advert states otherwise, please ensure you have this permission before you submit your application.
NB: The organization reserves the right to re-advertise the positions should the need arise and reserves the right not to fill the above listed positions.
Closing Date: 11 July 2023