The Institute of Health Programs and Systems (IHPS) is a South African non-profit company (NPC) born out of the PEPFAR CDC Track 1 transition of the ICAP, Columbia University, Multi-country AIDS Program (MCAP) in South Africa in 2010. The IHPS mission is “to strengthen health and development systems through program implementation and partnerships” and the vision is “optimal and sustainable health and development outcomes”. Presently, IHPS is a Global Fund Subrecipient (SR) under The Aids Foundation of South Africa (AFSA), tasked to implement the “Prevention programs for adolescents and Young People (AYP), in and out of school” with a specific focus on adolescent girls and young women (AGYW) and Adolescent Boys and Young Men (ABYM) in Mbombela Sub District in Mpumalanga Province from April 2022 – March 2025. As such, IHPS seeks to recruit the position outlined below, based in Mbombela Sub District in Mpumalanga Province.
Under the supervision of the In-school Coordinator, The Subject Tutor will be responsible for the successful implementation of the AYP programme in schools. This includes coordination and facilitation of homework or academic support, tutoring of Primary or Secondary school subjects at schools and Safe Spaces to reach learning benchmarks.
- Provide instruction after school or during an intervention or school holidays.
- Demonstrate expertise in specialised school subjects.
- Tutor a minimum of 4 school subjects.
- Guide learners in test-taking strategies, assessment, notetaking and studying for exams.
- Set up and tutor peer education clubs and peer support groups.
- Organise and provide homework supervision sessions.
- Work with SBST and the School-based Coordinator to develop an implementation plan for academic support.
- Provides effective tutoring services for identified learners who are struggling in a specific academic area of need and to help them attain a higher level of achievement.
- Offer feedback on progress to the SBST and School-based Coordinator.
- Develop and submit monthly and quarterly reports to the School-based Coordinator, School Principal or SBST Coordinator.
- Attend and participate in various local stakeholder meetings including the District-Based Support Teams meetings
- Act as a role model to strengthen positive behaviour change of the AYP.
- Any other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Problem Solving
- Able to work independently.
- Able to work in a team.
- Good verbal and writing skill.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Good facilitation skills
- A minimum of Grade 12 preferably post Matric training;
- Certificate in Peer Education, Child & Youth Work
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to relate well to youth between 10 and 24 years of age;
- Ability to communicate in English and local languages
By expressing the interest in the positions, applicants are consenting in terms of POPI Act for their curriculum vitae (CV) to be shared with the relevant people authorized to act on behalf of IHPS in the recruitment process.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should apply by e-mail only to HR@ihps-sa.org. Subject line should be the position you are applying for, and a cover letter and resume or CV should be attached. Submissions which do not follow the above instructions will not be considered.
Due to the extremely high volume of CVs expected, only those short-listed and selected for interviews will be contacted. NO PHONE CALLS about these positions will be accepted.
It is unlawful to employ a person who does not have permission to live and work in South Africa Unless the advert states otherwise, please ensure you have this permission before you submit your application.
NB: The organization reserves the right to re-advertise the positions should the need arise and reserves the right not to fill the above listed positions.
Closing Date: 11 July 2023