The Institute of Health Programs and Systems (IHPS) is a South African non-profit company (NPC) born out of the PEPFAR CDC Track 1 transition of the ICAP, Columbia University, Multi-country AIDS Program (MCAP) in South Africa in 2010. IHPS was established with a mission “to strengthen health and development systems through program implementation and partnerships” and, the vision is to ensure “optimal and sustainable health and development outcomes”. IHPS is a current Global Fund (GF) Subrecipient (SR) under the National Department of Health (NDoH), tasked to implement the Tuberculosis (TB) Program in the Johannesburg (JHB) Health District in Gauteng Province (GP) and Kenneth Kaunda District in the North West (NW) Province starting April 2022 ending March 2025. As such, IHPS seeks to recruit for the position outlined below, to be based at Head Office.
The Finance Manager will overall be responsible for the day-to-day management and distribution of the financial resources and budget planning. As part of the IHPS senior management team, the Finance Manager will provide financial management leadership and technical oversight, support the executive management team to make sound and effective business decisions, and ensure the value for money principles are always upheld. Inherently, this position will be accountable for overall financial management, audit and compliance, reporting, stakeholder management and staff management as appropriate.
Key Performance Areas:
- Supervise and manage all bookkeeping activities including cashbook processing and journals, and overall responsible for the trial balance as applicable.
- Carry out reconciliation of all project and statutory accounts as well as prepare bank reconciliations and reviews
- Ensure accuracy and completeness of all project revenue and expenses, proper reconciliation of creditors as well as capturing of petty-cash transactions to ledger.
- Ensure that loan accounts are reconciled and paid, suspense accounts are reviewed and cleared, and theoretical cash reconciliations are completed
- Provide financial management support/ assistance to program teams or departments as necessary including procurement, travel and logistics, etc.
- Review and release of electronic payments and transfers in accordance with IHPS payment processing matrix
- Ensure persistent completeness and accuracy of the fixed asset register
- Lead the preparation of ad hoc reports, reconciliations and analysis as required
- Make sure the finance team meets all month-end deadlines set
- Accurately account for VAT, complete and submit SARS returns
- Prepare schedules and make payment of employees’ tax and UIF
- Complete income tax submissions to SARS
- Assists with the preparation and execution of all audits i.e., funder and statutory audits
Cash Flow Management
- Oversee requests for disbursement for salaries and expenses.
- Ensure availability of cash and practice sound cash-flow management
- Ensure loan accounts and inter-account transfers are done timely
Reporting and Budgeting
- Ensure all monthly expense claims and financial reporting are prepared and submitted to funders on time
- Ensure quality of financial reporting by implementing review processes for validity, accuracy and completeness
- Provide insight to senior management, board and external parties through review of financial reporting for projects
- Ensure that all reports are reconciled to the underlying financial system
- Review and interpret monthly management accounts
- Prepare budgets for specific funders or for the organization as appropriate
- Oversee the filing system for retention of manual records
- Maintain administration of the accounting system
- Perform other duties as assigned by Senior Management
- Build and maintain solid relationships with external stakeholders (funders, government, auditors)
- Build and maintain optimal working relationships with internal stakeholders (program staff, other departments/ units, etc.)
- Ensure timeous and competent recruitment and adequate training of team members
- Ensure high level plans are communicated and assigned to team members, with appropriate follow up
- Conduct performance reviews and provide feedback in line with IHPS HR policies and procedures
- Manage the finance team proactively to ensure expected quality standards are met
- Facilitate timeous resolution of finance challenges raised internally or externally
- Ensure staff adhere to administrative requirements including timesheets and leave management
- A degree in Accountancy or Finance, Economics, Mathematics or Business Studies is required
- A Postgraduate degree in Financial Management, economics or business studies would an added advantage.
- 5 years proven experience in financial management is needed
- At least 2 years post articles experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of training and experience
- Global Fund, PEPFAR or any donor related audit experience is necessary
- Sound business acumen, cost consciousness and ethical work standards
- Tremendous attention to detail and quality report writing
- Excellent analytical thinking ability i.e., able to work with and create financial modelling tools within Microsoft Excel (advanced)
- Excellent problem-solving and reasoning ability
- Knowledge of internet software and the Microsoft office package
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated planning and organizing skills and adaptability
This position description may not list all the duties of the job. If an offer is made, you will be presented with a detailed job description. Applicants will be evaluated based upon their demonstrated ability to perform the tasks listed above, their education and work experience. The employer reserves the right to revise this posting at any time.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should apply by e-mail only to HR@ihps-sa.org.Subject line should be the Position and District you are applying for, and a cover letter and resume or curriculum vitae (CV) should be attached. Submissions which do not follow the above instructions will not be considered.
Due to the extremely high volume of CVs expected, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. NO PHONE CALLS about these positions will be accepted.
CLOSING DATE: 15 May 2023