The Institute of Health Programs and Systems (IHPS) is a South African non-profit company (NPC) born out of the PEPFAR CDC Track 1 transition of the ICAP, Columbia University, Multi-country AIDS Program (MCAP) in South Africa in 2010. IHPS was established with a mission “to strengthen health and development systems through program implementation and partnerships” and, the vision is to ensure “optimal and sustainable health and development outcomes”. IHPS is a current Global Fund (GF) Subrecipient (SR) under the National Department of Health (NDoH), tasked to implement the Tuberculosis (TB) Program in the Johannesburg (JHB) Health District in Gauteng Province (GP) and Kenneth Kaunda District in the Northwest (NW) Province starting April 2022 ending March 2025. As such, IHPS seeks to recruit for the position outlined below, to be based at Head Office.
Key Performance Areas:
Financial Management and Accounting
- Ensure payments and inter-account transfers, processing, and review of cashbooks as well as preparation and review of bank reconciliations are meticulously done.
- Capture Petty Cash expenditure on Cashbook
- Reconcile accounts and adjust incorrect entries.
- Ensure accuracy and completeness of project revenue and expenses.
- Prepare journals for review and posting.
- Capture and review of petty cash transactions for accuracy and completeness
- Provide oversight and compliance on project payroll including reconciliation and processing in the general ledger.
- Responsible for creditors payments, debit orders and reconciliations
- Liaise with suppliers regarding creditors statements and discrepancies.
- Ensure reconciliation of suspense accounts are performed and reconciling items cleared.
- Prepare ad hoc reports, reconciliations and analysis as required.
- Responsible for monitoring of the Creditors and Debtors Age Analysis, and ensure all overdue items are followed up and cleared.
- Accurately account for VAT and complete SARS returns when as required.
- Prepare schedules and make payment of Employees tax and UIF when necessary.
Auditing and Compliance
- Assist with the preparation and execution of the annual audit i.e., funder and statutory audits.
- Ensure VAT is accounted for accurately.
- Assist with preparation and execution of funder site visits or internal audits.
Cash Flow Management
- Prepare input for Cashflow forecasts.
- Assist with cash-flow management by ensuring regular disbursement requests or drawdowns are done and bank balances are monitored.
- Review loan accounts for accuracy and completeness and ensure inter account transfers are done.
Reporting and Budgeting
- Assist Finance Manager with reconciliation of funder report to the general ledger.
- Assist Finance Manager with reporting and budgeting as requested.
- Responsible for ensuring retention of manual and electronic records.
- Performs other duties as assigned by IHPS management.
- Ensures that all work is clearly documented and backed up as necessary.
Cash Flow Stakeholder Management
- Build and maintain relationships with external stakeholders as applicable.
- Build and maintain and build relationships with internal stakeholders as appropriate.
- Timesheet management
- Addressing complaints and resolving problems
- Resolve ad hoc finance and accounting queries as appropriate.
- Work closely with Operations Officer to support regional Office Administrators to maintain leave management records across all IHPS offices.
- Contribute to development and improvement of IHPS organizational processes and systems.
- Perform any other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the IHPS management.
- B.Com, B Acc Degree
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in financial accounting, and 5 years’ experience will be an added advantage.
- Experience in Microsoft and MS Excel in particular
- Sage Evolution, Pastel, Accpac and SAP or similar practical experience
- Global Fund, PEPFAR or any donor related experience
- Audit experience and articles would be an added advantage.
- Sound financial management, judgement, and work ethic
- Good analytical, decision-making, and problem-solving skills
- Very good attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Proven planning, organizing and adaptability.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Excellent ability to apply initiative, good judgement, and creative thinker.
- A commitment to ethical behaviour and business management
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written including written reports
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality, and age sensitivity
This position description may not list all the duties of the job. If an offer is made, you will be presented with a detailed job description. Applicants will be evaluated based upon their demonstrated ability to perform the tasks listed above, their education and work experience. The employer reserves the right to revise this posting at any time.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should apply by e-mail only to HR@ihps-sa.org. Subject line should be the Position you are applying for, and a cover letter and resume or curriculum vitae (CV) should be attached. Submissions which do not follow the above instructions will not be considered. Due to the extremely high volume of CVs expected, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. NO PHONE CALLS about these positions will be accepted.
Closing Date: 21 February 2023