The Institute of Health Programs and Systems (IHPS) is a South African non-profit company (NPC) born out of the PEPFAR CDC Track 1 transition of the ICAP, Columbia University, Multi-country AIDS Program (MCAP) in South Africa in 2010. The IHPS mission is “to strengthen health and development systems through program implementation and partnerships” and the vision is “optimal and sustainable health and development outcomes”. Presently, IHPS is a Global Fund Subrecipient (SR) under The Aids Foundation of South Africa (AFSA), tasked to implement the “Prevention programs for adolescents and Young People (AYP), in and out of school” with a specific focus on adolescent girls and young women (AGYW) and Adolescent Boys and Young Men (ABYM) in Mbombela Sub District in Mpumalanga Province from April 2022 – March 2025. As such, IHPS seeks to recruit the position outlined below, based in Mbombela Sub District in Mpumalanga Province.
Under the supervision of the In-school Coordinator, the In-School Champion will be responsible for the successful implementation of the AYP programme in schools and Safe Space. This position includes offering Core Package, writing referrals, linking to services, and reporting Human Rights Violations in Mbombela Sub District.
- Mobilize and recruit Adolescent and Young People(AYP) to participate in the AYP program.
- Conduct risk assessment to AYP using the core package of services tool/form in/out-of-school and Safe Spaces.
- Support the rollout of peer education interventions (Co-Facilitation) in the Safe Spaces
- Support the facilitation & coordination of other layered interventions targeting learners in Schools and Safe Spaces.
- Facilitate Focus Group Discussions (FGD) on various topics and issues affecting AYP.
- Conduct after school tuition and homework support at the Safe Spaces.
- Plan and coordinate AYP special events i.e., Health and Welfare Jamborees, Career Jamborees etc.
- Develop weekly and monthly plans and compile activity monthly reports.
- Assist data team during monitoring and verification visits.
- Any other duties as assigned by supervisor..
- Problem Solving
- Able to work independently.
- Able to work in a team.
- Good verbal and writing skill.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Good facilitation skills
- A minimum of Grade 12, preferably post Matric training.
- Basic counselling certificate.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to relate well to youth between 10 and 24 years of age.
- Community mobilisation experience.
- Ability to communicate in English and local languages
By expressing the interest in the positions, applicants are consenting in terms of POPI Act for their curriculum vitae (CV) to be shared with the relevant people authorized to act on behalf of IHPS in the recruitment process.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should apply by e-mail only to HR@ihps-sa.org. Subject line should be the position you are applying for, and a cover letter and resume or CV should be attached. Submissions which do not follow the above instructions will not be considered.
Due to the extremely high volume of CVs expected, only those short-listed and selected for interviews will be contacted. NO PHONE CALLS about these positions will be accepted.
It is unlawful to employ a person who does not have permission to live and work in South Africa Unless the advert states otherwise, please ensure you have this permission before you submit your application.
NB: The organization reserves the right to re-advertise the positions should the need arise and reserves the right not to fill the above listed positions.
Closing Date: 11 July 2023