Medical Officer Position
The role of the Medical Officer (MO) is to provide clinical oversight on the management of TB (DS and DR-TB) patients including comorbidities with HIV, COVID-19, chronic lung diseases, diabetes. This includes capacity building, clinical audits, active drug surveillance monitoring (ADSM), and supporting the digital chest X-ray (DCXR) teams. The MO will report directly to the assigned SR supervisor in the SR-HO who will approve plans and monitor progress against targets. In addition, the MO will work closely with the sub district TB or HAST Manager and provide reports to the direct supervisor and sub-district TB manager.
- Develop a district operational plan clear timeframes, outputs, and responsibilities
- Conduct regular monitoring and evaluation assessments against project objectives
- Support the development of district TB programme plans and ensure alignment with project plans
- Compile project reports and ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities (monthly, quarterly, and final reports) district management and IHPS head office.
- Supervise the district team
- Improve quality of TB care by providing training and mentoring of facility staff on clinical care.
- Conduct clinical audits in selected health facilities
- Support the mobile chest x-ray (CXR) teams with CXR reading
- Support the TB pharmacovigilance programme
- Strengthen the referral systems within the district to ensure continuous uninterrupted care of patients
- Strengthen the management of patients with comorbidities
- Support the implementation of the central chronic medicines dispensing and distribution (CCMDD) programme and inclusion of TB medicines in the formularies.
- Conduct mortality audits as required
- Strengthen patient screening and testing in hospitals and patient flow processes
- Support the implementation of and monitor adherence to the National TB Infection Control and Core Standards.
- Strengthen household contact screening and testing
- Provide clinical advice to health facility staff on the management for difficult or complex TB or adverse events
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Good understanding of the TB and HIV, AIDS epidemics in the country
- Strong project management skills.
- Ability to think strategically, proactively identify barriers and risks, and optimize use of the resources at hand
- Critical thinking, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to build, lead, and motivate effective teams
- Effective delegation to and development of project staff
- Excellent communication skills (both interpersonal and written)
- Ability to work under pressure
- Administrative and management skills
- Registration with the Health Professions Council of South Africa (HPCSA) as Medical Practitioner (MP). Proof of current HPCSA registration.
- At least 5 years’ experience working in the in public health sector
- At least 3 years’ experience in large scale project management
- Experience clinical TB and/ or HIV management
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint required
- Experience in Stakeholder management