Monitoring and Evaluation Manager
The Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Manager will provide overall leadership and management in all aspects of the monitoring, evaluation, reporting and learning (MERL) for the IHPS Global Fund (GF) TB/HIV grant,
Key Performance Areas:
- Provide strategic, technical leadership and oversight of all (MERL) aspects for the Global Fund TB/HIV grant to all project staff at SR, district, and facility levels.
- Development of a robust MERL system to capture and report high-quality, timely, valid, and verifiable data on programmatic results to the Principal Recipient (PR).
- Develop and implement a data analytics framework for all the Global Fund TB/HIV grant activities and indicators.
- Develop and implement learning agenda to inform the PR and other stakeholders about the lessons learned from grant activities.
- Conduct MERL needs assessments, baseline assessments, routine data quality assessments (RDQA), spot checks, program evaluations and rapid assessments and develop strategies to address identified gaps in line with the strategic objectives of the Global Fund grant.
- Develop work plan tracking indicators and targets as required.
- Oversee the development and maintenance of a comprehensive project database and ensure accurate and timely storage of electronic files.
- Support the development of grant work plan, data collection tools, standard operating procedures (SOPs) and tracking progress against the set targets.
- Provide MERL technical assistance on data analytics, reporting and data utilization for decision making to the district, sub-district and facility levels through mentorship and training.
- Promotes a culture of data usage and evidence-based decision making for continuous quality improvement through feedback, training and capacity building activities at district, health facilities and community levels through regular monthly and quarterly data review meetings.
- Strengthening existing national health information systems such as EDR.Web, TIER.Net, DHIS, HPRS and others) to enhance data visibility via dashboards and cascade analysis to enhance programme improvement at provincial, district, subdistrict, and facility levels.
- Strengthen the quality of TB services at the district, sub-district and facility levels through regular data analysis and the implementation of Quality Improvement.
- Work closely with provincial and district TB/HIV managers to ensure that program and grant objectives are met.
- Build and maintain partnerships with all stakeholders including participating in all district and sub-district MERL meetings, workshops, and discussions to provide ongoing technical support.
- Supervise and capacitate relevant grant-related MERL staff at the district and facility levels to comply with NDoH Global Fund MERL protocols and guidelines.
- Oversee data collection, validation, collation, storage, analysis, interpretation, visualisation and reporting data collected in facilities and community levels.
- Support grant evaluation activities and assist the PR to identify topics for operational research.
- Responsible for the data analysis, writing, and review of the results and learning sections of program reports in collaboration with program staff, before submission to the PR and ensuring compliance with MERL data quality requirements and timely submissions of reports.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent report writing, analytical and oral presentation skills.
- Experience in program M&E including the development and implementation of M&E plans, systems, procedures, and policies
- Experience in managing and building M&E capacity including training, mentoring, coaching and supportive supervision of field-based data management teams
- Ability to produce clear graphical representations and data visualisations of public health data especially TB and HIV/AIDS.
- Critical and strategic thinking as well as problem solving skills.
- Ability to take initiative, work under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Experience in knowledge management and dissemination of programmatic results and lessons learned.
- Sound problem solving and decision-making skills; effective time management and coordination skills and highly meticulous with attention to detail
- Competent in Microsoft Office suite and other data analytics software (quantitative & qualitative)
- Valid driver’s license and ability to drive
Qualifications and Experience:
- NQF level 7 or higher qualification in Public Health, Development Studies, Social Sciences, Statistics, Health Informatics, Information Management or Statistics, Data Management and Health Information Systems and other relevant disciplines.
- At least 7-10 years of working experience in designing, managing, and implementing results-based MERL activities, especially in public/ private health sectors TB and HIV programmes.
- At least 5 years of supervisory experience.
- Practical working experience in setting up and managing MERL systems for health programs and the ability to build capacity and mentor others.
- At least three years of operational experience in the existing national health information system such as EDR.Web, TIER.Net, DHIS, HPRS and others) information systems.
- Experience in working with donor-funded programmes and a good understanding of the South African Department of Health system, including policies, management and health information systems and structures at the National and Provincial levels will be an added advantage.